vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


24 July 2015

Torquay for sun

Torquay,  the English Riviera in South Devon
sent 21 July 1965, Torquay, Devon to Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
with a particularly fine cancellation
Enjoying ourselves, jolly company, food fabulous, and altogether most enjoyable, lots to see and do.
We have been a number of runs all most interesting. You would enjoy it, but too busy for a car.
A & B Wallace


a summer holiday with a beach or two, some sun and the sea for Sepia Saturday

5 comments:

Jofeath said...

There's a beach here near Melbourne also called Torquay, no doubt after the English original. Apart from the name, they probably don't have much in common, but at least the sand in the postcard scenes is a nice golden colour.

Alan Burnett said...

Torquay was always a bit special as a resort for us living up here in the north of England. I never went there as a child - it was too far for the family to travel - but it was where my Aunt and Uncle would go to and they would stay in a hotel rather than a boarding house. I was well into my 30s before I first visited it and yes, it was a lovely spot.

Boobook said...

What do you mean by a 'fine cancellation'? Is it the clarity of the date stamp, or the Torquay stamp on the left?

violet s said...

I was referring to the 'Torquay for Sun' one on the left.

Tattered and Lost said...

I'm always fascinated to think of a warm coastal village in England. I wish I'd visited there. It looks lovely.